Production questions

Flintlock3r

Huge Site Supporter
S3RL Super Fan
Supporter
Mar 17, 2016
Seattle, Washington
flintlock3r.wix.com
Hi S3RL, love being here, I feel right at home on the forum :)

I apologize if this is long XD

So I have some questions regarding how you go about your production. I make happy/UK hardcore as well.

1. When you write a track, is it generally organized the whole time (tracks in order, labeled, ect.), or do you just "throw up rainbows" on the project and organize everything later for mixing? This question is just out of pure curiosity :p

2. How do you go about creating your basses? You have this signature sound on them that almost has a "metallic" edge to them. Is there anything you could tell me about how you go about making a good, raw, and driving bass sound, and what is that metallic sound from?

3. kicks. I noticed in your newer stuff that the kicks have gotten fuller and less harsh. How do you get that big, full kick? do you make your kicks from scratch or use samples?

4. This is not necessarily about production, but ties in with it. How do you go about finding people who would like to do vocals for you? I live in an area where happy hardcore is practically non-existent (Santa Clarita, just north of L.A., very commercialized, no clubs, raves, or underground events, very conservative, business-like place :'( ). Therefore, no one really "does" the style that I (and you) do. Do you have any comments about this?

I am very passionate about the music, and will do whatever it takes to get my dream of being a DJ/Producer.

Thank you, Love your stuff, keep raving!

-Joseph (Flintlock3r)-

S3RL

The Real S3RL
Staff member
The Real S3RL
Apr 5, 2015
1 - Well usually the track starts as an idea, I don't like to make a track unless I have an idea to start with. If I go in blind then it usually either goes nowhere or it just takes too long to get anywhere. From there I'll start putting it all together, bass line, melody, vocals etc. There is usually a lot of order to it. Never really just throwing something together. I find that if I just throw something together it comes out sounding generic and that's the last thing I want.

2 - I thought I everything the same as everyone else but over the years I've been told I sound far from it =P I think it's mainly cos I use Reason, and because I'm self taught. I produce in a pretty unorthodox way from what I've seen of others doing it. But basically for bass it's just layering. So a good sub sound, then a good mid range and then a high if needed. I use distortion a lot for the upper freqs (Reason has an amazing distortion unit) so maybe that's the metallic sound you're hearing.

3 - Kicks have been something I've worked on a lot. I always felt my kicks lacked low end, but now that they do have low end, I think I've lost some of the power I used to have. I build all my own kicks now, but I used to just layer kicks to get the sound I was looking for. It's very trial and error so it can be pretty time consuming with no pay off sometimes.

4 - There's heaps of vocalists out there looking for work. Just put your name out there and say you're looking for a singer. Most are happy to do it free if they're just starting out and looking to get their name out there. Even if they do charge it's not that much. I used to prefer to work with amature singers cos it makes you work harder to get a good sound out of it ;)

Hope that answered some of your questions. Some of that stuff is hard to put into words =P Good luck with your production man ;)

Flintlock3r

Huge Site Supporter
S3RL Super Fan
Supporter
Mar 17, 2016
Seattle, Washington
flintlock3r.wix.com
1 - Well usually the track starts as an idea, I don't like to make a track unless I have an idea to start with. If I go in blind then it usually either goes nowhere or it just takes too long to get anywhere. From there I'll start putting it all together, bass line, melody, vocals etc. There is usually a lot of order to it. Never really just throwing something together. I find that if I just throw something together it comes out sounding generic and that's the last thing I want.

2 - I thought I everything the same as everyone else but over the years I've been told I sound far from it =P I think it's mainly cos I use Reason, and because I'm self taught. I produce in a pretty unorthodox way from what I've seen of others doing it. But basically for bass it's just layering. So a good sub sound, then a good mid range and then a high if needed. I use distortion a lot for the upper freqs (Reason has an amazing distortion unit) so maybe that's the metallic sound you're hearing.

3 - Kicks have been something I've worked on a lot. I always felt my kicks lacked low end, but now that they do have low end, I think I've lost some of the power I used to have. I build all my own kicks now, but I used to just layer kicks to get the sound I was looking for. It's very trial and error so it can be pretty time consuming with no pay off sometimes.

4 - There's heaps of vocalists out there looking for work. Just put your name out there and say you're looking for a singer. Most are happy to do it free if they're just starting out and looking to get their name out there. Even if they do charge it's not that much. I used to prefer to work with amature singers cos it makes you work harder to get a good sound out of it ;)

Hope that answered some of your questions. Some of that stuff is hard to put into words =P Good luck with your production man ;)

Thanks, I appreciate your input ;-) I know, it's hard to put into words, I sometimes try explaining stuff to other producers and I end up having to get on the program to physically show them what I mean.

If you have time, would you be able to give me some input about the Click Bait remix I did?

-Flintlock3r-