2009 Demo Version of Martinis and Mixed Feelings [Video]

k3v227

Sep 28, 2017
MP3 interpolation from 3rd post: https://puu.sh/CZ9Rb/ff0c720e3a.mp3

Just came across this version of Martinis and Mixed Feelings from 2009 on youtube:

Original version for reference:

The arrangement is noticeably different, however the production quality appears to be identical. Seems to me that S3rl was able to produce the song very quickly and well, but the arrangement may have been rushed so the Millionaires could use this while they were on tour. The official version was released in like May of 2010 so this is really interesting to see that this song has an evolution line. Would love to hear what s3rl's/others' thoughts are on this.

Last edited:

S3RL

The Real S3RL
Staff member
The Real S3RL
Apr 5, 2015
Wow I've never seen those videos before! From hearing that I'd say it's an edit they made of an early draft I sent them.

I can't remember how many versions I sent them, but there would have been at least 2-3 different arrangements before it was final. I'm pretty sure I sent them a completely different version to the one I released. We had a deal that they would keep the radio edit and I would keep the DJ edit and we'd split it that way (not the best financial move but I just wanted the rights to my DJ version). To make my version more exclusive I changed some things and made it more 'rave'.

k3v227

Sep 28, 2017
To name a few elements, the chord progression on the verses and the drop melody are probably the 2 biggest differences from their version. These make it so much more aggressive and 'rave'. From what I can hear in the videos it is certainly a different version than the one you released - The single measure of reverse kicks just after the first drop sticks out the most to me.

By the way, I'm absolutely amazed at how similar the song was in 2009 compared to when it was released in 2010. The production sounds virtually identical and the only differences appear to be in the arrangement alone. The synth on the drop is literally my favorite synth that I've ever heard and the fact it originates from 2009 is completely bananas to me.