What Gear/Software do you Use S3RL?

xzersion

Jun 6, 2015
Any Plugins You recommend such as sylenth1? I currently have ableton live 8 with an akai apc 20 with krk speakers running through an M audio fast track but i was wondering what synths i should buy i was thinking about the micro korg xl since it comes with a vocoder and all but i was just wondering what set up you use? your production set up vs the live setup

Superman

Owner, Head Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 2, 2015
Canada, Ontario
djs3rl.com
Any Plugins You recommend such as sylenth1? I currently have ableton live 8 with an akai apc 20 with krk speakers running through an M audio fast track but i was wondering what synths i should buy i was thinking about the micro korg xl since it comes with a vocoder and all but i was just wondering what set up you use? your production set up vs the live setup
I know this interview may answer some of your questions, i.e Software. :h:
https://soundcloud.com/edmproducerpodcast/45-s3rl

Reactions: xzersion

botcrusher

Jun 8, 2015
I was going to ask about hardware *piggy back*
Curious about both the sound and lights side of hardware. Mostly just the show stuff
Do you use what ever light equipment is present?
Do you have a hand in running lights, or do you leave that to a software analyser, or a technician?
Do you habe any preferred audio / visual equipment?
I'm a very curious bugger when it comes to hardware.

Superman

Owner, Head Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 2, 2015
Canada, Ontario
djs3rl.com
I was going to ask about hardware *piggy back*
Curious about both the sound and lights side of hardware. Mostly just the show stuff
Do you use what ever light equipment is present?
Do you have a hand in running lights, or do you leave that to a software analyser, or a technician?
Do you habe any preferred audio / visual equipment?
I'm a very curious bugger when it comes to hardware.
Hmm i never heard anything about hardware in any interview, maybe you can ask him.

S3RL

The Real S3RL
Staff member
The Real S3RL
Apr 5, 2015
Hey everybody =)

Software:
I use Reason 7 to produce everything (didn't bother with Reason 8, will probably go straight to 9 when it comes out).

All the VSTs etc are built in, no external VSTs or plug-ins. A lot of people don't like it that way but I do cos when everyone is using the same instruments it's harder to have a unique sound.

Hardware:
Just a normal PC but high end capabilities. Propellerhead Balance sound card. HS80M monitors for production and some other random speakers for mixing. I don't use midi keyboards or anything like that. I find it easier to do it manually in the sequencer.

Mixing:
When mixing live at shows it's just whatever the event has. Usually Pioneer CJD 2000's with a DJM800 or something similar.

In the studio for 'S3RL presents' mixes etc. I use Pioneer DDJ-SR mixer with Serato (only just got it though so it's taking some getting used to).

As for lights and stuff that's all up to the venue and event organizers themselves. There's usually a designated lights guy that handles all that. It's a whole other job. If you look around at shows sometimes you can see a guy with a laptop doing it all on the fly (at smaller shows it's usually just on auto pilot).