Are people allowed to use your free track in youtube videos?

Nexus Radical

Oct 24, 2015
Hello everyone! :3

I was wondering since i couldn't find an answer to my question, is everyone or anyone allowed to use S3RL's 'Free Tracks' in YouTube videos, just as samples like an Intro or Outro song for a video? About 30 seconds or so?

I'm really inspired by the songs created by S3RL and love the Circus Sound. Im not sure if its one of the free tracks but I'd love to use that for a 20 second sample. If the answers no. Then i'll hold my respect tightly and respect the response! :D

I'm nothing pro on YouTuber, just brought some editing software for a cheaper price and want to use what i've learnt over the period I've had it.

Thanks!

Superman

Owner, Head Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 2, 2015
Canada, Ontario
djs3rl.com
Hello everyone! :3

I was wondering since i couldn't find an answer to my question, is everyone or anyone allowed to use S3RL's 'Free Tracks' in YouTube videos, just as samples like an Intro or Outro song for a video? About 30 seconds or so?

I'm really inspired by the songs created by S3RL and love the Circus Sound. Im not sure if its one of the free tracks but I'd love to use that for a 20 second sample. If the answers no. Then i'll hold my respect tightly and respect the response! :D

I'm nothing pro on YouTuber, just brought some editing software for a cheaper price and want to use what i've learnt over the period I've had it.

Thanks!

Hey Nexus Radical,

I asked S3RL this same question, and this is what he told me to tell people when they asked.

S3RL:
"
I'm happy for you to use my songs in your vids as long as you include the links like YouTube, iTunes etc.

I have my music going through a company (TuneCore) that claims all my music found in videos. So you may get your vid claimed but that won't give you a strike or anything. It just means you won't be able to monetize that video.
"

Nexus Radical

Oct 24, 2015
That's great, thanks! And of course i'd give credit where credit would be due. As for monetizing, I doubt i'll be doing that anyway for a very long time.

Cheers and thank you for the reply! ;P

Nexus Radical

Oct 24, 2015

Oh another question, which i'm struggling to google. :D Do you know how long the sample of the tune needs to be until TuneCore will claim it? I'm curious since I might consider partnerships in the future, partnerships automatically enable monetizing.

My guess is something how the Fair Use Act works. I only want to use about 15-25s.. so yeah. xD

Superman

Owner, Head Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 2, 2015
Canada, Ontario
djs3rl.com
Oh another question, which i'm struggling to google. :D Do you know how long the sample of the tune needs to be until TuneCore will claim it? I'm curious since I might consider partnerships in the future, partnerships automatically enable monetizing.

My guess is something how the Fair Use Act works. I only want to use about 15-25s.. so yeah. xD
With that, i have no idea XD.
They have a script that automatically does that, so i have no idea what clip length will work.

Sorry i couldn't answer that question.

Nexus Radical

Oct 24, 2015
With that, i have no idea XD.
They have a script that automatically does that, so i have no idea what clip length will work.

Sorry i couldn't answer that question.

Yeah, i thought it be a hard one to answer. No prob man. :p

For anyone else interested
I have searched however,
If it works in terms of the Fair Use Act then here's a little bit of what i know:

There isn't actually a set ratio or statistic. But people say that your content should be at least 70% yours and 30% Copyright material as long as you disclaim yourself and provide a link to the original content or where you can buy it. Even then it can get claimed or taken down. Also, they'll consider if it increases the worth of the copyright content, meaning if it hurts its value then it'll be more like to get taken down or claimed, it may work the opposite way if you're increasing the value however.

I think personally, use something like 90% Your content - 10% Copyrighted Martial to be safe. Think about it this way, if you make people engaged and want to know more about lets say a soundtrack. People will want to hear the whole thing, increasing its worth. Providing a link to the original increases its worth and bring you closer to a safe zone.

This is just what I've collected gather myself, I can't say this is 100% but i suspect it's close.

Latevladiator

Jul 18, 2017
I used music through tunecore as well, but no luck :(
I paid the 30 ir so to upload an album and only made about 20 back so :( but i was getting only 70% of the revenue, not 100, so i guess I missed some fine print