General n00b questions re: genre recommendations

r|y|a|n

Jul 3, 2018
Sydney, Australia
www.facebook.com
Hi S3RL!

I wanted to start by saying thank you for the awesome stuff you've created.

I stumbled onto your music specifically after listening to an old 90's track. Since then your mixes have been all I really listen to. It began with Currently, then Presently, then Repeatidly... the mixes are brilliant. They honestly do get me though the day. Especially when I have a lot of driving to do.

I saw an advert for a festival called Defqon that is coming up this month... I thought perhaps I would go, but upon looking up the music I wasn't 100% sure hardstyle and hardcore are the same. It sounds stupid, but as a complete novice I am genuinely lost haha.

I guess my biggest question to you is who would you recommend as essential listening to a hardcore beginner? I ask because your tracks- especially you're recent few year- have become my daily tune... and I'd love to know what music you rate yourself!

I guess I would ask your 2c on the Defqon scene- if you would recommend it to a novice, or just general thoughts?

And lastly... I love the intro to all your mixes dude. They are brilliant- and often hilarious too. There's this one sample from a show or movie I can't identify... it's from Currently Presents and it's driving me insane trying to work out where it comes from, I'm usually pretty good at finding these things- but this one stumps me. It's the guy who is saying "Are you jacking off here? Because if you are, it's weird. Nobody does it, you're the only one". I've searched the internet high and low, and it's bothering me that I've seen it, but I don't know where. Halp.

Besides that, I really do want to catch your final Sydney show. Looking forward to hearing more about where and stuff.

Keep up the great work- FYI 'Cherry Pop' got me into your work, and the latest two tracks are awesome. Looking forward to hearing what's next, mate!

PS) Just wanted to make a quick addition to wish you a Happy Fathers Day, DJ S3RL! I was singing my little 5yr old to sleep the other night. After I thought he had drifted off I softly played the candle-light mix of 'Rainbow Girl'. When it finished I heard his little voice peep up and ask me to put it on his 'driving CD'.

He has also lately grown quite fond of the old 8 - 32 bit video games- and is in love with your version of 'Green Hills'. I must admit one of my guilty pleasures is to put it on whenever I'm driving a little quickly along a winding, quiet road... Awesome remix, DJ!

Last edited:

r|y|a|n

Jul 3, 2018
Sydney, Australia
www.facebook.com
Decided against Defqon- at least for this year... but I did manage to grab a ticket for your last show @ OneSeventy. Still a little nervous, but at least I know the music will be the type I love :D

See you in November, S3RL!!